Sonntag, 4. März 2012

Spring is sprung

Whilst in Exeter last week, I saw primroses growing in the church wall on the way down to the station.
Primroses in Exeter
Suitably inspired, I took the first chance when I got home to finally finish off the cold frame.  I started it last year when my allotment neighbours gave me a double glazed window from an old villa in Turkey (I think).
Cold frame
I put in some concrete foundations and laid a few courses of bricks sized for the window.  Inside, after removing the perennial weeds, I made the floor flat, covered it with weed proof matting and then filled the bottom with about 3 cm of black gravel chippings.  The next job will be to block out the sides with some insulating foam, but basically its ready to go.

I have also finished reworking last year's beds used by the children.  They had strawberries, chillis and dahlias.  Now the whole thing has been weeded, leveled and sown with grass seed.
New bit of lawn
Once the grass gets going, the upkeep should be much reduced - just push the mower over with the rest of the grassy bit.

I also pruned the currant bushes.  I gave them a good chop ( 2/3 off and back to an open bowl shape).  I don't expect any currants this year, but next year should be back to full production.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen